Topics

Words in a German document

Lila Garner

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Charles Derrick

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.
Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch

-----Original Message-----
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Lila Garner

Thank you. That does work well. 

On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Nick Schultz

Isn't Vernon in Jennings County Indiana???

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 3:16:05 PM EDT, Lila Garner <lilagarner@...> wrote:

On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Lila Garner

Yes—I got it wrong!! Thx. 

On Sep 14, 2020, at 6:45 AM, Nick Schultz via groups.io <nuckeye43@...> wrote:

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 3:16:05 PM EDT, Lila Garner <lilagarner@...> wrote:

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Sheila Kell

I noticed the wrong county but didn't want to complain. Lila, is doing a fantastic job with these very difficult documents.  The first ones have already filled in children for some of our local families that were born and died between census records.  We have no other records of this church except for the few random pages copied years ago, and no idea who originally had them or where the originals went.

Sheila

To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; nuckeye43@... <nuckeye43@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Lila Garner

Thx for kudos. I didn’t get the county wrong in any doc, just in my query! 🙂

On Sep 14, 2020, at 8:34 AM, Sheila Kell via groups.io <kfurballkell@...> wrote:

I noticed the wrong county but didn't want to complain. Lila, is doing a fantastic job with these very difficult documents.  The first ones have already filled in children for some of our local families that were born and died between census records.  We have no other records of this church except for the few random pages copied years ago, and no idea who originally had them or where the originals went.

Sheila

To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; nuckeye43@... <nuckeye43@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

Thanks for any help!

Lila