Topics

Washington state Marriage records

JAN Banevich

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a marriage ”return” for my Aunt Norma Marie Scheuber b 10 Sep 1911, Chehalis, Lewis, WA and her 1st husband Chester Roy Osborne b. 1902 or 1903. The marriage didn’t last long but, produced a daughter. The Application for a marriage license was from Snohomish County, Washington and I believe they got married there. I am trying to find Chester Roy Osborne’s birthdate on a record with Norma Marie Scheuber so I can verify that he is the same person that I have found in other records and a family tree.

I am wondering if there is always a marriage “return”? These always have so much information on them.

Any help will be appreciated, as I have exhausted all avenues I can think of. Thanks.

Janice

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

davidrli@...

G’day Janice

The marriage records for Snohomish have been filmed by the LDS and are available on Family search and can be viewed from home for free.

< https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1987017?availability=Family%20History%20Library >

I also note that statewide civil registration in Washington didn’t start until 1907.  I have interests in West Virginia and while trying to trace the current owner of a first edition King James Bible that was taken from England to Virginia in the 1780s which is known to contain a large amount of genealogical information, I’ve found that many West Virginians only acquired a birth certificate when they were already aged in their 40s and 50s.  This may be the case with your Chester Osborne.

The “Washington Digital Archives” also has a 1947 marriage certificate for Chester Roy Osborne to Viola Fleenor in Whatcom county.

< https://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Record/View/74238A557C53023F7342564E2DD070A5 >

He doesn’t show up on the Divorce records on that site.

There are no hits for “Norma Scheuber” in the WDA.

I also note that if Norma was born in 1911, then she’d have been aged 18 in 1929 when the Great Depression started in 1929.  So given the economic situation and Chester’s 1947 marriage, the question arises, did they actually get married?

Regards

David Armstrong

Maylands

Western Australia