Topics

Translations - Heyde - Cornelius

JACK HACKER

Thanks every one for your translation. It means a lot to me as I am in Indiana and can not read German. Great people on this site.

My goal is to find the connection between the Heyde and Cornelius families. Here is a brief summery.
Werner Hermann Philip Heyde (went by Philip) 1801 Ziegenhain - 1881 Grebenstein. Parents from Philips death certificate are George Arnold Heyde and Anna Marie Dummler (see various spellings). Philip married about 1836 (?) to Christina (or Catherina) Elisabeth Mauskopf (went by Elisabeth or Elise). I have no data about her except that her son George went from Indiana to Germany in Sep. 1894 "to visit his sister and aged mother". I can find no birth or death record for her.
Known children:
1. George Arnold Heyde 17 Aug 1837 Hesse Germany - 1929 Indiana (my ancestor). Have not found a birth certificate but George was confirmed in 1851 in Breitenbach.
2. John Conrad Heyde, church records Kassel-Freiherter Community. Born 1839 Godfather Conrad Cornelius, Hofintendant. Conrad died 1919 Indiana.
3. Thomas Gustav Heyde, Church records Kassel-Freiheiter Community. Born 1841, Godfather Thomas Cornelius, Pastor at Mariendorf (what is this?). Died 1925 Ohio
4. Edward Heyde, born 1842 (no data). Died 1921 in California.
5. Maximilian Heyde, born 1845 (no data). Died 1936 in Missouri.
6. Maria Elisabeth Heyde, born 1847 in Breitenbach, Godmother is Maria Elisabeth Eckhard, born Cornelius, aus Ronshausen, the childs grossmutter. This child may have died young (?).
Anna Catherina Maria Louise Heyde, born 1856 in Ronshausen, married George Andres Jung and lived in (Bad) Karlshafen and died there in 1947.

From book "Ronshausen, Village History in the Context of the National History" by Fritz Rudolph it states "Maximilian Cornelius sold the estate (the family possessed the estate since 1734) to a relative named Philip Heyde, who sold it to Jew Hess of Rotenberg" I do not know if there is any more data about the Heyde or Cornelius families in this book.

From various US newspapers and family letters Philips sons state that there father wealthy. Also that he was the mayor of Ronshausen and served in "the congress" for 7 to 9 years.

I wonder if the Cornelius family may have been connected to Philips wife Elisabeth Mauskopf? I know nothing about her.

Any help or suggestions on where to look for data would be so helpful.
Thanks,
Carole Heyde-Hacker

Lila Garner

The family history library catalog may list marriage contracts for your villages in Hessen. There’s a lot to gleamed from them if you can learn to read the rather obsolete German mixed with Latin legalese. The catalog is online but Centers are closed due to Covid.

On Jul 10, 2020, at 9:01 PM, JACK HACKER <cajalz@...> wrote:

[...]

From book "Ronshausen, Village History in the Context of the National History" by Fritz Rudolph it states "Maximilian Cornelius sold the estate (the family possessed the estate since 1734) to a relative named Philip Heyde, who sold it to Jew Hess of Rotenberg" I do not know if there is any more data about the Heyde or Cornelius families in this book.

From various US newspapers and family letters Philips sons state that there father wealthy. Also that he was the mayor of Ronshausen and served in "the congress" for 7 to 9 years.