Topics

Town Search in Bavaria #Bavaria

John Warther

Hello.

I have a USA immigration record for my wife's ancestor, Jacob Morgenroth, who left Bavaria and entered the port of Baltimore, Maryland in July, 1843.  We had known for a long time that he was from Bavaria.  Yesterday, I stumbled on a new online record on familysearch.org for his arrival that specified he was from "Tyrenfelden."  This was a very exciting discovery, because now maybe we can pursue finding him in Roman Catholic records in Bavaria, born about 1815.  There is also the possibility he married around 1843 before he came to the USA.

I have encountered a problem.  Tyrenfelden does not come up in Myer's Gazette with that spelling.  However, I did find a possibility.  If the town name was written down as it sounded, could the town be this one?  Theresienfeld?

What suggestion might you have for the town name in Bavaria?

Thank you for your help.

John

W David Samuelsen

Thereienfeld is in Lower Austria, Austria - way way from Bavaria.

We need to look at that record you mentioned in order to see how it is written. Indexers can get it wrong.

David Samuelsen

Ursula Foster

Could it be Triefelden, Bavaria? This is in the catholic parish of Hainberg.

John Warther

Please see the attached file which shows the card on which Jacob Morgenroth's immigration information was written.  I suppose there is an original passenger list or something that would give this information, but I haven't located it yet.  You can see there the spelling is Tyrenfelden.

I understand what you are saying about the place I identified as being in Austria.  I had seen that in a google search, but I had first seen the following in Meyer's Gazette:

Theresienfeld, Wunsiedel, Oberfranken, Bayern

Please let me know what you think.  I am very grateful for your help.

John

John Warther

The link to the record in FamilySearch is here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-898X-J95Z-T?i=368&cc=2173933&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQV9F-V8LJ

I tried to attach the record, but it didn't seem to go through.  So I'm trying to send it again by imbedding the graphic:

image.png

If this is just an index record, I haven't figured out yet where to see the original that was used to create this card.

John

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 1:40 PM W David Samuelsen <sammyslc@...> wrote:
Thereienfeld is in Lower Austria, Austria - way way from Bavaria.

We need to look at that record you mentioned in order to see how it is written. Indexers can get it wrong.

David Samuelsen

W David Samuelsen

This is the closest there is to the spelling as heard.

John Warther

So I shall begin with Triefelden, Bavaria, in the catholic parish of Hainberg.  I will see where this leads me.

Ursula and David, thank you both for your input on this.

John

Lila Garner

Here is a good place to search for town names https://www.jewishgen.org/communities/search.asp

It makes it sound like this is Jewish only, but it helps with any town that may be misspelled. There is a phoenetic search and other options such as fuzzy search. It will tell you distance from the nation's capital.