Topics

Town Search in Bavaria #Bavaria

John Warther

Hello.  

I have a USA immigration record for my wife's ancestor, Jacob Morgenroth, who left Bavaria and entered the port of Baltimore, Maryland in July, 1843.  We had known for a long time that he was from Bavaria.  Yesterday, I stumbled on a new online record on familysearch.org for his arrival that specified he was from "Tyrenfelden."  This was a very exciting discovery, because now maybe we can pursue finding him in Roman Catholic records in Bavaria, born about 1815.  There is also the possibility he married around 1843 before he came to the USA.

I have encountered a problem.  Tyrenfelden does not come up in Myer's Gazette with that spelling.  However, I did find a possibility.  If the town name was written down as it sounded, could the town be this one?  Theresienfeld?  

What suggestion might you have for the town name in Bavaria?

Thank you for your help.

John

W David Samuelsen

Thereienfeld is in Lower Austria, Austria - way way from Bavaria.

We need to look at that record you mentioned in order to see how it is written. Indexers can get it wrong.

David Samuelsen

Ursula Foster

Could it be Triefelden, Bavaria? This is in the catholic parish of Hainberg.

John Warther

Please see the attached file which shows the card on which Jacob Morgenroth's immigration information was written.  I suppose there is an original passenger list or something that would give this information, but I haven't located it yet.  You can see there the spelling is Tyrenfelden.

I understand what you are saying about the place I identified as being in Austria.  I had seen that in a google search, but I had first seen the following in Meyer's Gazette:

Theresienfeld, Wunsiedel, Oberfranken, Bayern

Please let me know what you think.  I am very grateful for your help.

John

John Warther

The link to the record in FamilySearch is here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-898X-J95Z-T?i=368&cc=2173933&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQV9F-V8LJ

I tried to attach the record, but it didn't seem to go through.  So I'm trying to send it again by imbedding the graphic:

image.png

If this is just an index record, I haven't figured out yet where to see the original that was used to create this card.

John

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 1:40 PM W David Samuelsen <sammyslc@...> wrote:

We need to look at that record you mentioned in order to see how it is written. Indexers can get it wrong.

David Samuelsen

W David Samuelsen

This is the closest there is to the spelling as heard.

John Warther

So I shall begin with Triefelden, Bavaria, in the catholic parish of Hainberg.  I will see where this leads me. 

Ursula and David, thank you both for your input on this.

John

Lila Garner

Here is a good place to search for town names https://www.jewishgen.org/communities/search.asp

It makes it sound like this is Jewish only, but it helps with any town that may be misspelled. There is a phoenetic search and other options such as fuzzy search. It will tell you distance from the nation's capital.

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of W David Samuelsen <sammyslc@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 12:40
To: John Warther <digmyroots@...>; main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Town Search in Bavaria #Bavaria

David Samuelsen

davidrli@...

G’day John

The Baltimore immigration record provides you with the name of the ship upon which your ancestor travelled and the date of arrival.  This will allow you to trace the port of embarkation and date of sailing which in turn allows you to search for another set of records – his emigration records. 

Apart from the emigration records themselves, he is likely to have also been documented as an alien by the police in the port through which he transited.  Both the embarkation and transients records in the port of departure are likely to have a more accurate record of his place of origin in Bavaria.  (Obtaining a copy these records may require you to contact the archives in the port concerned rather than rely on Ancestry etc).

The Rhine is the natural route for someone in Bavaria to travel to the north-west coast of Europe to catch a ship to other parts of the world, especially in the time period concerning your ancestor which right at the start of railway era.  Accordingly, Rotterdam is a likely port of departure.

Officials in a migrant’s new country were interested in whether or not an immigrant was healthy, capable of supporting himself, whereas the officials in Europe were interested in things such as has he done his national service, is he on the run from the law, or has he paid his debts.  As a result, they were far more likely to accurately record his place of birth.

Regards

David Armstrong

Maylands

Western Australia

Susan Smith

See attached passenger record for Jacob Morgenroth and the town name enlarged. Hopefully someone can figure out the name of the town.

John Sebire

My guess 91483 Appenfelden, Germany

On 17/4/20 10:17 am, Susan Smith wrote:
See attached passenger record for Jacob Morgenroth and the town name enlarged. Hopefully someone can figure out the name of the town.

Tilman Ochs

Appenfelden

Tilman

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:17 AM
To: davidrli@... ; main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Town Search in Bavaria #Bavaria

John Warther

Susan,

Thank you for finding this!  I was trying everything I knew but could not find it!

It looks to me that the first three letters might be different from what was transcribed. 

Thank you to everyone for your findings and suggestions in my searching for Jacob's town.

John

John Warther

Thank you to Susan for finding the original, and to Marianne from Bavaria  who responded with "Appenfelden, this belongs to the Catholic parish Scheinfeld."

John

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 01:45 AM, Susan Smith wrote:

Jean Johnson

You have to consider the turbulent times. Historically this area was changing frequently from Germany to Austria to Poland (Galicia) and back again.

Ursula Foster

The town is definitely Appenfelden in Mittelfranken, Bavaria.It has a parish but no research records available online. The district court is in Scheinfeld which has a  few records in the FHL catalog too late but might be worth looking at to see if the Morgenroth name appears in any records. At this time, the records can only be seen at an FHC which are closed at this time.

John Warther

Thank you all for your input on this.  My wife's family line has been at a brick wall for many years, and part of the reason were the multiple spellings of Morgenroth that we have seen.  Jacob's children came up with multiple (easier?) spellings of their surname, but the older records seem to be very consistent with Morgenroth.  I look forward to exploring the family in Appenfelden!

Thank you.

John