Topics

Ticketing to the US

Penny

I have been searching for my ancestors in the Castle Garden digitized ship records at familysearch.org. A friend found my ancestors in a Hamburg ship record. The record stated that the family traveled on the ship Minerva which departed Hamburg on May 10, 1872. It was headed to New York via Liverpool first after Hull according to the record. So my question is, when a person bought a ticket in Hamburg and the ship records indicates the went from Hamburg to Hull to Liverpool, were all those included in the ticket or could the family have taken a different route when the got to Hull or Liverpool? I don't remember seeing passenger lists in the Castle Garden records that say any ships left from Hull. I have been going through the ones that say the ship left from Liverpool. I have gone through the ship records through June 24, 1872 and have still not found them. I will continue but thought I'd ask the question here and see if I need to go back through the records again. Thanks to everyone who responded to my last question about this.

Penny Vanderhyden

Elwood, IL

davidrli@...

G’day Penny

The ship going from Hamburg to Hull would be the equivalent of a modern day ferry not an ocean liner.  Your family would have disembarked in Hull and then taken a train to Liverpool (which is the obvious British west coast port to go to from Hull) and once in Liverpool, purchased tickets on another ship departing Liverpool for North America.

The reason for taking this “indirect route” is that it was much less expensive because the British merchant navy was the by far the largest in the world and had the economic benefits that came with its size.

While your family may have intended to sail to New York, they may have found a place on a ship sailing for, say, Philadelphia or Boston.  And some migrants intending to go to North America stayed in Britain, either for some months or even permanently.

Did your family settle in Illinois or elsewhere in the in the 1870s Penny?  If so, then an economic route for migrants was to sail from Great Britain to Montreal, then proceed up the St Lawrence and across the Great Lakes before entering the USA in Chicago.  Duluth was also an US entry port for migrants from Europe whose final destination was the prairies.

Another 19th century route to the American midwest was to sail to New Orleans and then take a paddle steamer up the Mississippi.

Regards

David Armstrong

Maylands

Western Australia

[...]

Image removed by sender.

rickydb@...

Hi Penny, My understanding is that many ships from northern Europe pulled into Hull as it was the closest port, then they trained it across to Liverpool which was the major outgoing overseas port and being the west coast traditionally rough seas and weather...Often ships dropping off passengers [in coming] are classified as incoming Alien passengers...however I had a look on Ancestry and not knowing the surname, for the ship Minerva 10 May 1872 it says Hull [New York via Liverpool]  looks to me that there were around 175 people on board that ship Hamburg to NY..
Cheers Rick.. Australia