Deborah Mueller

My Mueller are from Zeutern. We pronounce it just like Miller.

Deborah Mueller

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:54 AM, sbrakenhoff@... wrote:

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Brenda Benes

Where I live in Texas (German/Czech  community), there are quite a few Muellers. Some are pronounced "Miller,"some or pronounced "Mule er."

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of Deborah Mueller via groups.io <dmueller5@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:15:17 PM
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; sbrakenhoff@... <sbrakenhoff@...>
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Spelling and Pronunciation of Mueller

My Mueller are from Zeutern. We pronounce it just like Miller.

Deborah Mueller

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:54 AM, sbrakenhoff@... wrote:

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Lila Garner

Müller is a name derived from an occupation. It means miller.

To pronounce the ue/umlaut u (ü--I hope this comes through as 2 dots over the u) shape your lips as if to say o. Then say ee. It's a sound we don't make in English.

I hope this helps.

Where I live in Texas (German/Czech  community), there are quite a few Muellers. Some are pronounced "Miller,"some or pronounced "Mule er."

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Sherri Brakenhoff

Thank you. I think many people in this area (Nebraska) pronounce it Mueller just to distinguish it from Miller. I was curious how was in Germany.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

My Mueller are from Zeutern. We pronounce it just like Miller.

Deborah Mueller

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:54 AM, sbrakenhoff@... wrote:

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Avast logo

Sherri Brakenhoff

Yes, it does help. Thank you! Since it’s a sound we don’t make in English, the pronunciation was changed to something similar. I knew the name was derived from the occupation, miller, and wondered why that pronunciation wasn’t the favored one.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Müller is a name derived from an occupation. It means miller.

To pronounce the ue/umlaut u (ü--I hope this comes through as 2 dots over the u) shape your lips as if to say o. Then say ee. It's a sound we don't make in English.

I hope this helps.

_._,_._,_

Avast logo

Sherri Brakenhoff

Thank you so much for this link! No wonder we don’t say it the same as in Germany--we don’t have those sounds in our vocabulary!!! So, the name was changed to a sound that Americans are familiar with. Very interesting!

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Avast logo

Lila Garner

My roots are in Nebraska, too. The kids in my high school called themselves Mule-er, but their grandfather was Mr. Miller. I think they simply got tired of correcting people who said Mule-er and went with the flow. In a similar case, the Jorgensen family I know about were called Yurgensen (I suppose it was Jørgensen in Denmark), and the younger generation says Jorgensen, just like it looks.

Thank you. I think many people in this area (Nebraska) pronounce it Mueller just to distinguish it from Miller. I was curious how was in Germany.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

My Mueller are from Zeutern. We pronounce it just like Miller.

Deborah Mueller

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:54 AM, sbrakenhoff@... wrote:

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Avast logo

Deborah Mueller

I live in Texas also.

Deborah Mueller