Topics

Spelling and Pronunciation of Mueller

Sherri Brakenhoff

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Deborah Mueller

My Mueller are from Zeutern. We pronounce it just like Miller.

Deborah Mueller

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:54 AM, sbrakenhoff@... wrote:

Please help settle a dispute. My Müller family immigrated from Switzerland; is now spelled Mueller and (mostly) pronounced "Meller." There are also German lines in the area, also spelled Mueller, but pronounced "Muler." (with a long u). My questions are: (1) What was the original spelling of "Mueller" in Germany; and (2) how is it pronounced? Thanks for your help.

Brenda Benes

Where I live in Texas (German/Czech  community), there are quite a few Muellers. Some are pronounced "Miller,"some or pronounced "Mule er."

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of Deborah Mueller via groups.io <dmueller5@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:15:17 PM
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; sbrakenhoff@... <sbrakenhoff@...>
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Spelling and Pronunciation of Mueller

Deborah Mueller

Lila Garner

Müller is a name derived from an occupation. It means miller.

To pronounce the ue/umlaut u (ü--I hope this comes through as 2 dots over the u) shape your lips as if to say o. Then say ee. It's a sound we don't make in English.

I hope this helps.

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of Brenda Benes <bhbenes@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 13:30
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io>; sbrakenhoff@... <sbrakenhoff@...>

Where I live in Texas (German/Czech  community), there are quite a few Muellers. Some are pronounced "Miller,"some or pronounced "Mule er."

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of Deborah Mueller via groups.io <dmueller5@...>
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; sbrakenhoff@... <sbrakenhoff@...>

Deborah Mueller

Tilman Ochs

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 5:17 PM
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Spelling and Pronunciation of Mueller

Sherri Brakenhoff

Thank you. I think many people in this area (Nebraska) pronounce it Mueller just to distinguish it from Miller. I was curious how was in Germany.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:15 PM
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io; sbrakenhoff@...

Deborah Mueller

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Sherri Brakenhoff

Yes, it does help. Thank you! Since it’s a sound we don’t make in English, the pronunciation was changed to something similar. I knew the name was derived from the occupation, miller, and wondered why that pronunciation wasn’t the favored one.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io [mailto:main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lila Garner
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:41 PM

Müller is a name derived from an occupation. It means miller.

To pronounce the ue/umlaut u (ü--I hope this comes through as 2 dots over the u) shape your lips as if to say o. Then say ee. It's a sound we don't make in English.

I hope this helps.

_._,_._,_

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Sherri Brakenhoff

Thank you so much for this link! No wonder we don’t say it the same as in Germany--we don’t have those sounds in our vocabulary!!! So, the name was changed to a sound that Americans are familiar with. Very interesting!

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io [mailto:main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tilman Ochs
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:48 PM
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io; sbrakenhoff@...

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Lila Garner

My roots are in Nebraska, too. The kids in my high school called themselves Mule-er, but their grandfather was Mr. Miller. I think they simply got tired of correcting people who said Mule-er and went with the flow. In a similar case, the Jorgensen family I know about were called Yurgensen (I suppose it was Jørgensen in Denmark), and the younger generation says Jorgensen, just like it looks.

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of Sherri Brakenhoff <sbrakenhoff@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 13:49
To: 'Deborah Mueller' <DMueller5@...>; main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>

Thank you. I think many people in this area (Nebraska) pronounce it Mueller just to distinguish it from Miller. I was curious how was in Germany.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:15 PM
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io; sbrakenhoff@...

Deborah Mueller

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Deborah Mueller

I live in Texas also.

Deborah Mueller

On Aug 26, 2020, at 1:31 PM, Brenda Benes <bhbenes@...> wrote:

Deborah Mueller

Sherri Brakenhoff

Yes, I totally agree about being tired of correcting people. My mother even said Mule-er when meeting someone new, just so they would spell it correctly.

Funny story: I have friends in California whose last name is Miller. They purchased something in Europe to have sent to their home, specifically repeating their last name was spelled Miller. It came addressed to them as Mueller. Haha.

I love how names have evolved and changed over the years. I always smile when I hear people say they’re not related because their name is spelled differently.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io [mailto:main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lila Garner
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:57 PM

My roots are in Nebraska, too. The kids in my high school called themselves Mule-er, but their grandfather was Mr. Miller. I think they simply got tired of correcting people who said Mule-er and went with the flow. In a similar case, the Jorgensen family I know about were called Yurgensen (I suppose it was Jørgensen in Denmark), and the younger generation says Jorgensen, just like it looks.

_._,_._,_

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Deborah Mueller

I was told that when the census taker came around they spelled the names as you pronounced it to him. Many Mueller were changed to a
Miller.
My great grandfather spoke English so he spelled to his census taker. That is why I am still a Mueller but pronounced Miller. I me a man that live in Germany in the time of hitler. He shook my hand and said hello Mrs. Miller how are you. 

Deborah Mueller 

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 3:09 PM, Sherri Brakenhoff <sbrakenhoff@...> wrote:

Yes, I totally agree about being tired of correcting people. My mother even said Mule-er when meeting someone new, just so they would spell it correctly.

Funny story: I have friends in California whose last name is Miller. They purchased something in Europe to have sent to their home, specifically repeating their last name was spelled Miller. It came addressed to them as Mueller. Haha.

I love how names have evolved and changed over the years. I always smile when I hear people say they’re not related because their name is spelled differently.

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Family Tree

On 8/26/2020 4:13 PM, Deborah Mueller via groups.io wrote:
I was told that when the census taker came around they spelled the names as you pronounced it to him. Many Mueller were changed to a
Miller.
My great grandfather spoke English so he spelled to his census taker. That is why I am still a Mueller but pronounced Miller. I me a man that live in Germany in the time of hitler. He shook my hand and said hello Mrs. Miller how are you. 

Deborah Mueller 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 3:09 PM, Sherri Brakenhoff <sbrakenhoff@...> wrote:

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Anita Stuever

Müller. When typewriters couldn't make an umlaut, an E was placed after the vowel that had an umlaut. 

The closest I think we Americans can get is to pronounce the ü like oo as in cool. German has several vowel sounds we don't have, and it's difficult for this American to hear the difference, let alone pronounce it. 

Also the Germans roll the L just as they roll the R. To roll, the tongue touches the front of the palate, rather than the rear. 

I was also told in Germany that an R on the end of a word is barely pronounced. The end of your surname, and mine, would be something like air, barely pronouncing the R. 

A lot of the family lore turns out to be wrong--not purposely, but it's like the old game of telephone. My family story about the spelling and pronunciation of our surname is totally wrong, and it became wrong within one generation of immigration!

Disclaimer: I am not native to Germany. I only traveled there for about 10 days and asked a lot of questions of my hosts, one of whom was a German teacher. 

Anita Stuever / Stüwer

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM <sbrakenhoff@...> wrote:

Family Tree

My maiden name was Stroemer (STRÖMER) pronounced as Stray-mer.  My first name and middle is Kathleen Sue.  When I was a child, I told everyone my name was Kathy Soup Strainer!  :-)

On 8/26/2020 4:09 PM, Sherri Brakenhoff wrote:

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

James Groce

Here in the North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee states – my families GROSS, HUTZ, SCHUR, and LANG became Groce, Hoots, Shore, and Long.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 6:32 PM
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io; sbrakenhoff@...

My maiden name was Stroemer (STRÖMER) pronounced as Stray-mer.  My first name and middle is Kathleen Sue.  When I was a child, I told everyone my name was Kathy Soup Strainer!  :-)

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...

Pat McCoy

One of my German ancestors has the family
name of MUELLER and it became Americanized
to Miller through the generations.

Pat McCoy, M.S. Addiction Psychology Slow Down and Enjoy Your Garden! Plus a quote from Leonard Nimoy: A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 07:40:55 PM EDT, James Groce <jamesdgroce@...> wrote:

Here in the North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee states – my families GROSS, HUTZ, SCHUR, and LANG became Groce, Hoots, Shore, and Long.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 6:32 PM
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io;sbrakenhoff@...

My maiden name was Stroemer (STRÖMER) pronounced as Stray-mer.  My first name and middle is Kathleen Sue.  When I was a child, I told everyone my name was Kathy Soup Strainer! :-)

Sherri Brakenhoff

sbrakenhoff@...