Topics

German Naming Pattern

Thomas Brew

I have a mystery for you all....Gottlieb Michel had the following four sons:

Carl died at a young age
Carl Gustave.....who went by Gustav
Adam Carl......who went by Carl
Robert

Would Gottlieb's father been Carl?  OR is Gottlieb's first name Carl?

I do not know who Gottlieb's father in law is.
"Carl Gustave" had 6 sons, Carl who died young and than a Carl who died at child birth.  His other sons were Oscar, Robert, Lorne (Lorenz) and Albert.  Carl Gustave's father in law was Johann.

"Adam Carl" named his son's": Wilhelm/William, Otto/Art, Rudolph/Pete, Charles Albert.

"Robert" had one son, Fredrick Robert

Gottlieb's only daughter named her son's: Emil Gustav, Ernest Oswald (fathers name), Paul Reinhold Richard, Robert Otto and Rudolph Oscar.  No Carl in her lineup 🙂

Any idea's anyone?  🙂

thanks for reading,  Tom
_._,_._,_

Stuart Bechman

Carl could be an uncle or other close family member who served as Godfather to Gottlieb's children.
-S

rbwal

Tom, what part of Germany did they come from? Do you see a naming pattern in other records at the same time period?  In the area of Schleswig-Holstein my father was born, children were named in a special order i.e first born son after paternal grandfather, second born after maternal grandfather, third born son after father. My father's name has been in the family for 500 years and his mother still followed the naming rules in the 1930's. I also have examples of the same naming style in Hechingen up to the late 18th century. In the region of Trier, children were given the names of their Godparent. That godparent was usually family, but not always. They may have been a prominent citizen. You need to compare with other records,if possible,  to see if there actually is a pattern.

regards,
Tina

[...]

Hi Tina.....the family came from Juppendorf, District of Gurau in the Province of Schlesien (Silesia) which is now known as Kruszyniec Gora...they belonged to the Evangelical Church of Guhrau.  I understand that there are no records available for this Church.  And the info I supplied is all I have.  🙁

Tom