Topics

First Post: Kreider / Greider #Baden

David Crider

I am interested in the lineage of CRIDER/GRIDER/KRIEDER/GRIEDER/ and of PFEIFFER, as described below:

(1) Martin KREIDER [sic] b. abt 1598 in Farnau am Wiese, near Schopfheim-Lörrach, Freiburg District, [Baden-]Wüerttemberg, DE; perhaps d. abt 1666 with the name "Martin GRIEDER [sic]" in Rünenberg, Baselland, CH; possible ancestor of the following:

(2) One (of many) Hans Jakob GRIEDER [sic], b. abt 1690 in Rünenberg, Baselland, CH, d. abt 1763, probably in Cabarrus Co., NC.  Married Barbara PFEIFFER, probable dau/o Jakob PFEIFFER.
   He is believed by many researchers to be the Jacob CRIDER (of which there are several), known in his time in the Cabarrus-Mecklenburg, NC, area as "Joggi the Quiet Farmer."  Apparently *NOT* any of the other 18th-century Jacob Criders of nearby NC counties.
   Descendants migrated from NC to GA, AL, TN, MO, TX, other.

NOTE:  These Grieders were Swiss Reformed Lutherans, NOT Mennonites, as were most if not all of the KREIDERS, who settled in Lancaster, PA. The religion of Martin Kreider is unknown to me.

So far, the works of Swiss genealogist Werner Hug on the Grieders of Baselland have not provided me with definite connections.

Thanks,
David Crider