Topics

family surname Link #Hessen

jlink

My German Links come from Fulda, Hess. My ancestor is John, I think he traveled with a brother Valentine. They settled I Hollidaysburg, PA in 1848.

John soon married Veronica Fuchs. They were close associates with a Miller family. I cannot find any additional information from German records on exactly when or where they arrived in the USA. Thanks

Elizabeth Kraus

Just wondering was the family name Links a derivation of “Linke”? My husband’s grandmother was Minna Linke born in Kallinchen, Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg in 1901, the eldest of 9. Some of her siblings were born in Celle, Niedersachsen. The family origins seem to be of Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg back til the 1840s.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 4:00 AM
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] family surname Link

My German Links come from Fulda, Hess. My ancestor is John, I think he traveled with a brother Valentine. They settled I Hollidaysburg, PA in 1848.

John soon married Veronica Fuchs. They were close associates with a Miller family. I cannot find any additional information from German records on exactly when or where they arrived in the USA. Thanks

Annelise Anderson

Do you have approximate birth dates, arrival, etc? ancestry.com has arrivals, ports, ships, passenger and crew lists.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 11:45 PM, Elizabeth Kraus <greliz7@...> wrote:

Just wondering was the family name Links a derivation of “Linke”? My husband’s grandmother was Minna Linke born in Kallinchen, Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg in 1901, the eldest of 9. Some of her siblings were born in Celle, Niedersachsen. The family origins seem to be of Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg back til the 1840s.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Kraus

Thank you, Annelise.
There many Linke families living in Victoria and South Australia, who would fit this time frame covered by Ancestry. My husband’s grandmother’s generation did not come to Australia nor the US. Her daughter did come to Australia in the 1950s ... but I know all the details. The grandmother’s brother went to Canada after WWII, again I have the details.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] family surname Link

Do you have approximate birth dates, arrival, etc? ancestry.com has arrivals, ports, ships, passenger and crew lists.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 11:45 PM, Elizabeth Kraus <greliz7@...> wrote:

Kind regards
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Kraus

It could also do with pronunciation ... clerks not understanding the name spoken with a strong germanic accent. May have been a choice of the family to ‘anglicize’ their name in a new country, where English is the spoken language. Transcriptions by others when inputting data into various databases/indexes.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 3:24 AM

The surname is actually "Link" apparently there are lots of derivations. But all records I have found in USA show his last name as Link. The "e" could have been dropped coming over.
The
Jim

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/11/20 2:45 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io, Jlink@...

Kind regards
Elizabeth

Annelise Anderson

John (Joanus) Link (Lank) found in  64 trees View all

Record information.
Birth 25 Feb 1822 Hessen, Germany
Marriage 21 Jul 1848 Hollidaysburg, Blair, Pennsylvania, USA
Residence 1880 Pennsylvania, USA
Death 24 Mar 1908 Pennsylvania, USA
Record information.
Father John Johannas Link Leink(Born 1780)
Mother Agnetis Eimer (Born 1777)
Spouse Veronica Fox/Fuchs (1823-1887)

On Apr 11, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Elizabeth Kraus <greliz7@...> wrote:

Name: Valtin Link
[Valentine Linck] 
Record Type: Petition 
Birth Place: Germany
Declaration Date: 1 Aug 1865
Declaration Place: Pennsylvania, USA

Above from ancestry.com

It could also do with pronunciation ... clerks not understanding the name spoken with a strong germanic accent. May have been a choice of the family to ‘anglicize’ their name in a new country, where English is the spoken language. Transcriptions by others when inputting data into various databases/indexes.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

The surname is actually "Link" apparently there are lots of derivations. But all records I have found in USA show his last name as Link. The "e" could have been dropped coming over.
The
Jim

To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io, Jlink@...

Kind regards
Elizabeth

lonalb

Thank you for sending this.  I have Gray's connected to my Reibold family and I slowly checking to learn if they connect your line. I also found there is a connection Fuchs family that I'm checking to see if there is connection. These surnames are not directly connected to me but would be surnames of cousins.  I will get back with you.

Lona   

From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io [mailto:main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annelise Anderson
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:24 AM
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io; greliz7@...
Cc: jlink; German-genealogy-ENG@groups.io

John (Joanus) Link (Lank) found in  64 trees View all

Record information.

Birth

25 Feb 1822 Hessen, Germany

Marriage

21 Jul 1848 Hollidaysburg, Blair, Pennsylvania, USA

Residence

1880 Pennsylvania, USA

Death

24 Mar 1908 Pennsylvania, USA

Record information.

Father

John Johannas Link Leink(Born 1780)

Mother

Agnetis Eimer (Born 1777)

Spouse

Veronica Fox/Fuchs (1823-1887)

On Apr 11, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Elizabeth Kraus <greliz7@...> wrote:

Name:

Valtin Link
[Valentine Linck] 

Record Type:

Petition 

Birth Place:

Germany

Declaration Date:

1 Aug 1865

Declaration Place:

Pennsylvania, USA

Above from ancestry.com

Kind regards

Elizabeth

The

Jim

Kind regards

Elizabeth

Virus-free. www.avast.com