From: jlink
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 4:00 AM
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] family surname Link

My German Links come from Fulda, Hess. My ancestor is John, I think he traveled with a brother Valentine. They settled I Hollidaysburg, PA in 1848.

John soon married Veronica Fuchs. They were close associates with a Miller family. I cannot find any additional information from German records on exactly when or where they arrived in the USA. Thanks

Annelise Anderson

Do you have approximate birth dates, arrival, etc? ancestry.com has arrivals, ports, ships, passenger and crew lists.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 11:45 PM, Elizabeth Kraus <greliz7@...> wrote:

Just wondering was the family name Links a derivation of “Linke”? My husband’s grandmother was Minna Linke born in Kallinchen, Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg in 1901, the eldest of 9. Some of her siblings were born in Celle, Niedersachsen. The family origins seem to be of Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg back til the 1840s.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

My German Links come from Fulda, Hess. My ancestor is John, I think he traveled with a brother Valentine. They settled I Hollidaysburg, PA in 1848.

John soon married Veronica Fuchs. They were close associates with a Miller family. I cannot find any additional information from German records on exactly when or where they arrived in the USA. Thanks

Elizabeth Kraus

Thank you, Annelise.
There many Linke families living in Victoria and South Australia, who would fit this time frame covered by Ancestry. My husband’s grandmother’s generation did not come to Australia nor the US. Her daughter did come to Australia in the 1950s ... but I know all the details. The grandmother’s brother went to Canada after WWII, again I have the details.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

My German Links come from Fulda, Hess. My ancestor is John, I think he traveled with a brother Valentine. They settled I Hollidaysburg, PA in 1848.

John soon married Veronica Fuchs. They were close associates with a Miller family. I cannot find any additional information from German records on exactly when or where they arrived in the USA. Thanks

Elizabeth Kraus

It could also do with pronunciation ... clerks not understanding the name spoken with a strong germanic accent. May have been a choice of the family to ‘anglicize’ their name in a new country, where English is the spoken language. Transcriptions by others when inputting data into various databases/indexes.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

The surname is actually "Link" apparently there are lots of derivations. But all records I have found in USA show his last name as Link. The "e" could have been dropped coming over.
The
Jim

From: Elizabeth Kraus <greliz7@...>
Date: 4/11/20 2:45 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io, Jlink@...

Just wondering was the family name Links a derivation of “Linke”? My husband’s grandmother was Minna Linke born in Kallinchen, Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg in 1901, the eldest of 9. Some of her siblings were born in Celle, Niedersachsen. The family origins seem to be of Kreis Teltow, Brandenburg back til the 1840s.
Kind regards
Elizabeth

My German Links come from Fulda, Hess. My ancestor is John, I think he traveled with a brother Valentine. They settled I Hollidaysburg, PA in 1848.

John soon married Veronica Fuchs. They were close associates with a Miller family. I cannot find any additional information from German records on exactly when or where they arrived in the USA. Thanks

lonalb

Thank you for sending this.  I have Gray's connected to my Reibold family and I slowly checking to learn if they connect your line. I also found there is a connection Fuchs family that I'm checking to see if there is connection. These surnames are not directly connected to me but would be surnames of cousins.  I will get back with you.

Lona

[...]

Declaration Place:

Pennsylvania, USA

Above from ancestry.com