Topics

Days of travel to get to the US

Penny

I found an ancestors family that left from Hamburg, Germany in May of 1872. The ship record said they were traveling to the US via Liverpool. I was going through the Castle Garden ship records microfilm trying to find when they arrived in the US. I was wondering if I am looking in the correct date range. They left Hamburg on May 10th. I have been going through the records and have searched from May 14-20 and have not found them yet. How long of a journey was it to the US back then? Thanks

D.L. MacLaughlan-Dumes

On Jul 21, 2020, at 9:57 AM, penvan@... wrote:

I found an ancestors family that left from Hamburg, Germany in May of 1872. The ship record said they were traveling to the US via Liverpool. I was going through the Castle Garden ship records microfilm trying to find when they arrived in the US. I was wondering if I am looking in the correct date range. They left Hamburg on May 10th. I have been going through the records and have searched from May 14-20 and have not found them yet. How long of a journey was it to the US back then?

You may want to search the arrival records for at least 30 days after their departure. Depending on the ship a voyage could take 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer.

Best,
Debra MacLaughlan Dumes

Gail Schinnerer Jorgensen

and that is if they left Liverpool immediately
Gail

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:01 AM D.L. MacLaughlan-Dumes <dmacdumes@...> wrote:

On Jul 21, 2020, at 9:57 AM, penvan@... wrote:

I found an ancestors family that left from Hamburg, Germany in May of 1872. The ship record said they were traveling to the US via Liverpool. I was going through the Castle Garden ship records microfilm trying to find when they arrived in the US. I was wondering if I am looking in the correct date range. They left Hamburg on May 10th. I have been going through the records and have searched from May 14-20 and have not found them yet. How long of a journey was it to the US back then?

You may want to search the arrival records for at least 30 days after their departure. Depending on the ship a voyage could take 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer.

Best,
Debra MacLaughlan Dumes

Linda Westrom

I actually found the arrival of the ship in the New York Tribune - online on Ancestry.  It was under a heading of "The Movements of Steamers Foreign Ports."   My ancestors sailed from Antwerp in 1883 although they were coming from Germany.

Heidi Arno

To put perspective on the length of travel from Europe to the US, according to my gggrandfather's citizenship papers, he left Antwerp 27 March 1857, arrived Port of Quebec 9 May 1857.  That's 44 days.. Yikes!

--
Heidi Hennig Arno

Gayle Pauly

Heidi, how did you find the ship manifest for the port of Quebec in 1857?
Gayle Pauly

To put perspective on the length of travel from Europe to the US, according to my gggrandfather's citizenship papers, he left Antwerp 27 March 1857, arrived Port of Quebec 9 May 1857.  That's 44 days.. Yikes!

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:56 PM Linda Westrom <gingersnap0312@...> wrote:
I actually found the arrival of the ship in the New York Tribune - online on Ancestry.  It was under a heading of "The Movements of Steamers Foreign Ports."   My ancestors sailed from Antwerp in 1883 although they were coming from Germany.

--
Heidi Hennig Arno

Heidi Arno

Gayle and all
Sorry, I don't have a secret way of finding ship manifests.  This is  information my ggrandfather provided for his US citizenship.  He came to North America as a child, and applied for US citizenship as an adult in order to hold public office.  However the siblings who traveled with him were older than he, alive and living nearby at the time of the application, so I'm thinking there was an effort to be as accurate as possible.