Topics

Claus Hinrich Schütt in Hamburg

davidrli@...

G’day everyone

Unfortunately, I haven’t access to Ancestry thanks to my local LDS library closing in March because of the Wuhan virus.

However, I’ve going through some German BDM certificates that I had stored on a thumb-drive.  One of them is a 1941 Hamburg death certificate for Emma Margaretha Maria geb. Schütt who was born in 1865 in Hinschenfelde (Hamburg-Wandsbek).  The death certificate lists her parents as being

Claus Hinrich Schütt, and

Anna Catharina geb. Timm

“beide zuletzt wohnhaft in Hamburg”.

If Emma was born in 1865, then her father Claus is likely to have been born between 1820 and 1845, and I have a Claus Hinrich Schmidt born ca. 1827 according to the 1835 and 1840 census of the parish of Zarpen near Lübeck.

Could someone who has access to Ancestry please have a look and see if there is a death recorded post-1865 in Hamburg for Claus Hinrich Schütt?  I’m particularly interested in his age and parentage.

Regards

David Armstrong

Maylands

Western Australia

rickydb@...

Hi David, Got this far...will have another look for death...Cheers Rick, Tasmania

Name: Johann Hinrich Christian Schütt
Gender: männlich (Male)
Event Type: Heirat (Marriage)
Marriage Date: 8 Okt 1802 (8 Oct 1802)
Marriage Place: Nusse, Lübeck, Deutschland (Germany)
Spouse: Anna Catharina Timms
Parish as it Appears: Nusse
City or District: Nusse
Page Number: 12;13
[...]

mstring2

David:
I found one record for a Claus Hinrich Gottleib Schütt, born: about 1817 (age at death: 57), died: 10/10/18 Stellingen, Hamburg, Deutschland (Germany), Civil Registration Office: Stellingen, Certificate Number: 2, Reference:332-5-8385.

Unfortunately, I don't have a computer at home, I can't click on "View" and make a screenshot of the document in German on my phone (I get a black screen). It's 10 pm in Texas, so the library is obviously closed. I won't be able to get to the library for 12 hours. If someone else with Ancestry reads this maybe they can get a screenshot of the document for you.
Sincerely,
Mary

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

[...]

Good pick up Mary...was able to find and send as an attachment...
trying to snow here in Tasmania, near Cradle Mountain national park..

[...]

Ann Thornton

Hi David,

I have attached the actual record for you from Ancestry since I have Ancestry and a computer at home.  Hope that helps!

I don't read this mail list daily and when I do read it, requests have usually been filled by then, so I am glad I could help for once!

Ann

On 7/31/2020 11:38 PM, rickydb@... wrote:
[...]

There are actually a bunch of hits on Ancestry for Claus Hinrich Schütt.  I have attached a Census record and a baptism record that might help.  I tried looking for Emma's birth or baptism record but could not find anything close.

Ann

On 7/31/2020 10:25 PM, davidrli@... wrote:

[...]

Thanks for looking Rick

Unfortunately, this marriage is far too early as this Anna Timms would have been in her 80s by 1865 when Emma Schütt was born.

I would also point out that the “Schleswig-Holstein” records on Ancestry aren’t actually from 19th century Schleswig-Holstein.  The parishes of Curau, Renseld etc that Ancestry lists under Schleswig-Holstein, were actually in in the exclave of the Duchy of Oldenburg, and it is these that the LDS had access to and microfilmed in the 1950s or 1960s, which Ancestry has in turn acquired.  Parishes such as Zarpen (my major interest) which was actually in the Duchy of Holstein in the 19th century aren’t available on either Family Search or Ancestry.

Regards

David

Hi David, Got this far...will have another look for death...Cheers Rick, Tasmania

Name:

Johann Hinrich Christian Schütt

Gender:

männlich (Male)

Event Type:

Heirat (Marriage)

Marriage Date:

8 Okt 1802 (8 Oct 1802)

Marriage Place:

Nusse, Lübeck, Deutschland (Germany)

Spouse:

Anna Catharina Timms

Parish as it Appears:

Nusse

City or District:

Nusse

Page Number:

12;13

Evangelische Kirche Nusse (AG. Lübeck)

Film Number:

492379

[...]

Image removed by sender.

davidrli@...

Thanks for trying Mary

Stay safe in Texas

Regards

David

I found one record for a Claus Hinrich Gottleib Schütt, born: about 1817 (age at death: 57), died: 10/10/18 Stellingen, Hamburg, Deutschland (Germany), Civil Registration Office: Stellingen, Certificate Number: 2, Reference:332-5-8385.

Unfortunately, I don't have a computer at home, I can't click on "View" and make a screenshot of the document in German on my phone (I get a black screen). It's 10 pm in Texas, so the library is obviously closed. I won't be able to get to the library for 12 hours. If someone else with Ancestry reads this maybe they can get a screenshot of the document for you.

Sincerely,

Mary

davidrli@...

Thanks for trying Ann

Unfortunately they don’t relate to my Schütt family from Zarpen.  As I mentioned in another replay, the church records for the Duchy of Holstein aren’t on Family Search or Ancestry, whereas those from 19th century exclave of the Duchy of Oldenburg are available; Olstholstein is an example.  Today they’re in the modern state of Schleswig-Holstein.