From: main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io <main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io> on behalf of Barbara May via groups.io <bbmay2@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 7:35 PM
To: german-genealogy-eng@groups.io <german-genealogy-eng@groups.io>
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] brick wall

Any suggestion what to do when all the records here in the U.S. only say Germany or Bavaria. The only hope I had was on my grandfathers passenger list on Castle Garden it said last place of residence was Lena. I tried working on that and didn't get anywhere. Any help is appreciated. Barb

G Richard Fraas

One of the best genealogical friends you'll ever find is:   meyersgaz.org  Just put in Lena in the box, hit enter, and all places that have "lena" in their name will pop up.  The last two on the list are indeed in Bavaria and may prove to be what you are looking for.

G Richard Fraas

One of the best genealogical friends you'll ever find is:   meyersgaz.org  Just put in Lena in the box, hit enter, and all places that have "lena" in their name will pop up.  The last two on the list are indeed in Bavaria and may prove to be what you are looking for.

Penny Sitler

Have you found where they were buried? My Bavarian immigrant ancestors had very detailed information engraved on their gravestones.

John Steitz

It may be different where your family comes from but its very unlikely to find an old grave. I don't know how to say it or the correct vocabulary but essentially you rent the space for x years. New layer after that . When I visited my family town I quickly noticed the cemetery was higher than the adjacent road despite it being down hill on either side of the cemetery. Essentially land was too valuable for that many generations to each have a plot forever.
John Steitz

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Penny Sitler <penny.sitler@...> wrote:
Have you found where they were buried? My Bavarian immigrant ancestors had very detailed information engraved on their gravestones.

Penny Sitler

I seem to have misunderstood the question. I thought the inquiry referred to immigrants whose place of death was known, but their place of origin was not. I was referring to the US graves of my immigrant ancestors who arrived around 1850. These graves, located in Indiana, still provide clear and detailed information on where and when they were born in Bavaria. (Most were from Leinsweiler, Rheinpfalz).