Date   

Re: Bayreuth

Barbara May
 

Does Bayreuth have records on line? Barb


Schirack before 1830 #Saarland #Rheinland

Sue Griffith
 

My 3rd great grandfather was Anon (Anthony) Schirack, born in 1794.  I would like any information on his ancestors.

Sue Griffith



--
Sue Griffith


Butz

lschling@...
 

Awhile back someone sent some asking about a Butz family in Germany.  Sorry but I lost the email.  I have a friend I am working with who is a Butz and has family from Germany.  Please let me know again what area you were looking for and I will see what we can find.

Walk in peace,

Linn Schlinger

You receive all messages sent to this group.
_._,_._,_


Re: New German Research Related Webinars on FamilySearch.org for October

Hanneke
 

Wow, that looks really interesting, thank you! Do you know if there is an option to watch these later? (I had to google MDT!).
Thanks for the tip, Hanneke


New German Research Related Webinars on FamilySearch.org for October

carrotarms
 

I thought the group might be interested in knowing that FamilySearch.org is offering webinars in October. Here are the topics and dates:

Sat, Oct 24, 10:00 AM MDT Resources on FamilySearch for German Research and Getting Help (Beginner)
Sat, Oct 24, 11:15 AM MDT Germany: Historical Geography (Intermediate)
Sat, Oct 24, 12:45 PM MDT Württemberg Family Books (Intermediate) 
Sat, Oct 24, 2:00 PM MDT Using Historical Newspapers to Learn More About Your German Ancestors (Intermediate) 
Mon, Oct 26, 10:00 AM MDT German Handwriting Seminar, Day 1 (Intermediate)
Tue, Oct 27, 10:00 AM MDT German Handwriting Seminar, Day 2 (Intermediate) 
Wed, Oct 28, 10:00 AM MDT German Handwriting Seminar, Day 3 (Intermediate) 
Thu, Oct 29, 10:00 AM MDT German Handwriting Seminar, Day 4 (Intermediate) 
Fri, Oct 30, 10:00 AM MDT German Handwriting Seminar, Day 5 (Intermediate)

You can reach the webinars at the following: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Family_History_Library
Look under "Online Classes" for October.
I also encourage you to look at other past learning resources for German Research at this link:
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Classes_in_the_Learning_Center
There are lots of classes and they are all free. Sincerely, Carrie T in VA


Re: Obituary Needed ??? ... more

madbovery@aol.com
 

Hi Catherine -

Can you tell me who requested a copy of this obituary???  I'm asking because Harry Huntington Moore was the 2nd husband of Amelia Reinhardt Rothar, widow of my grandmother's brother, John Rothar.  Curious to know who else is researching this family.  TUIA, Madeline


Re: Obituary Needed ???

Catherine Dorsey
 


Re: Translation help

ankemmail-b@...
 

Google translate gets it mostly right but doesn't get the right meaning of "schieben". In this context "schieben" means participating in the black market/doing illegal business. So the translation would be "He who loves life participates in the black market, whoever has honesty in his blood trades, if both (of these) paths are blocked, steal."


Re: Translation help

Mike Gough
 

Google Translate: He who loves his life pushes; whoever has honesty in his blood trades; if both paths are blocked, steal.

On 9/26/2020 10:12 AM, Karl von Loewe wrote:
Wer sein Leben liebt, der schiebt; wem Ehrlichkeit im Blute rauscht, der tauscht; wem beide Wege sind verbaut, der klaut.
--
LtCol Michael J. Gough USAF(Ret)
mgough1449@...
(H) (601) 636-8213
(M) (601) 218-5218


Re: Translation help

Heidi Utley
 

This is the translation from "Google Translate": He who loves his life pushes; whoever has honesty in his blood trades; if both paths are blocked, steal.

On 9/26/2020 10:12, Karl von Loewe wrote:
Wer sein Leben liebt, der schiebt; wem Ehrlichkeit im Blute rauscht, der tauscht; wem beide Wege sind verbaut, der klaut.


Translation help

Karl von Loewe
 

Help! I have run across a post-war German saying that I am having trouble converting into idiomatic English:

"Wer sein Leben liebt, der schiebt; wem Ehrlichkeit im Blute rauscht, der tauscht; wem beide Wege sind verbaut, der klaut." 

What especially throws me is the phrase "sein Leben liebt" - a characterization of a person.  Can anyone help me out here? 
Many thanks, 
Karl von Loewe
Somerset NJ


Re: 400 years commemoration Pilgrim Fathers.

Hanneke
 

If you are interested in this history, then this small museum run by Jeremy Bangs in Leiden, may be of interest to you. http://www.leidenamericanpilgrimmuseum.org/index.htm
Hanneke


Re: 400 years commemoration Pilgrim Fathers.

JACK HACKER
 


John,
Thank you for the information.
I had 4 ancestors that came on the Mayflower plus Alice Carpenter Southworth, William Bradford's 2nd wife who arrived a year later. 
Carole

On 09/19/2020 4:34 AM John W. Kitz <john.kitz-gen@...> wrote:


To whom it may interest,


The Hague, 31 August 2020 - In 1620 a group of religious English refugees travel to America with the ship the Mayflower. There they founded the colony of Plymouth. About 50 of them came from Leiden, where they lived for nine years. For the first time, Native Americans, descendants of the original inhabitants, were involved in the commemoration, in addition to the Netherlands, England and the United States.


Proud

The so-called Pilgrim Fathers are often seen as the founders of the current United States. The journey of the Pilgrim Fathers and the foundation of the colony of Plymouth in America is celebrated and commemorated internationally on previous anniversaries. Central to this is the pride in the tolerant, liberal and hospitable Netherlands, the courage of the settlers and the beginning of the democratic American state that would be due to the Pilgrim Fathers. And all this inspired and influenced by the Dutch years of the Pilgrim Fathers in Leiden.


Extensive festivities

In the National Archives the commemorations with letters from committees, festive programs, commemorative books, leaflets and speeches have been preserved. The jubilee is celebrated festively and extensively in 1920 and 1970 with dinners, boat trips, hiking trails, sports competitions, church services, exhibitions, congresses, receptions, folk dances, essay competitions, flower shows, shopping weeks, and last but not least: Thanksgiving Day dinners for Americans, Dutch and English.


Thanksgiving Day

In 1863, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday. The fourth Thursday in November is thus forever linked to the first harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrim Fathers together with the locals, the Wampanoags, in 1621. It is a romanticized story based on a myth with a small core of truth. The reality is that the arrival of the settlers later on has many negative consequences for the Native Americans: diseases and wars drastically reduce the number of original inhabitants and their habitat. In the early 70's several leaders of the Native Nations proclaim Thanksgiving Day to be Day of Mourning.


Commemoration

Also this year the jubilee 400 years Mayflower will be extensively commemorated at home and abroad. The Native Nations are not only part of this, but their history and perspective also play an important role. Leiden University organized an international conference at the end of August: Four Nations Commemoration, 1620-2020 in which the nationalistic starting point makes way for more inclusiveness. A life-size difference from the past.


Source: An article in Dutch on the website of The National Archives of the Netherlands (https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/beleven/nieuws/400-jaar-herdenking-pilgrim-fathers), translated by yours truly using deepl.com.


Re: 400 years commemoration Pilgrim Fathers.

Carol Dallas
 

Thank you for sharing this.

Carol Dallas

On Saturday, September 19, 2020, 01:34:12 AM PDT, John W. Kitz <john.kitz-gen@...> wrote:


To whom it may interest,

 

The Hague, 31 August 2020 - In 1620 a group of religious English refugees travel to America with the ship the Mayflower. There they founded the colony of Plymouth. About 50 of them came from Leiden, where they lived for nine years. For the first time, Native Americans, descendants of the original inhabitants, were involved in the commemoration, in addition to the Netherlands, England and the United States.

 

Proud

The so-called Pilgrim Fathers are often seen as the founders of the current United States. The journey of the Pilgrim Fathers and the foundation of the colony of Plymouth in America is celebrated and commemorated internationally on previous anniversaries. Central to this is the pride in the tolerant, liberal and hospitable Netherlands, the courage of the settlers and the beginning of the democratic American state that would be due to the Pilgrim Fathers. And all this inspired and influenced by the Dutch years of the Pilgrim Fathers in Leiden.

 

Extensive festivities

In the National Archives the commemorations with letters from committees, festive programs, commemorative books, leaflets and speeches have been preserved. The jubilee is celebrated festively and extensively in 1920 and 1970 with dinners, boat trips, hiking trails, sports competitions, church services, exhibitions, congresses, receptions, folk dances, essay competitions, flower shows, shopping weeks, and last but not least: Thanksgiving Day dinners for Americans, Dutch and English.

 

Thanksgiving Day

In 1863, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday. The fourth Thursday in November is thus forever linked to the first harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrim Fathers together with the locals, the Wampanoags, in 1621. It is a romanticized story based on a myth with a small core of truth. The reality is that the arrival of the settlers later on has many negative consequences for the Native Americans: diseases and wars drastically reduce the number of original inhabitants and their habitat. In the early 70's several leaders of the Native Nations proclaim Thanksgiving Day to be Day of Mourning.

 

Commemoration

Also this year the jubilee 400 years Mayflower will be extensively commemorated at home and abroad. The Native Nations are not only part of this, but their history and perspective also play an important role. Leiden University organized an international conference at the end of August: Four Nations Commemoration, 1620-2020 in which the nationalistic starting point makes way for more inclusiveness. A life-size difference from the past.

 

Source: An article in Dutch on the website of The National Archives of the Netherlands (https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/beleven/nieuws/400-jaar-herdenking-pilgrim-fathers), translated by yours truly using deepl.com.


400 years commemoration Pilgrim Fathers.

John W. Kitz <John.Kitz-gen@...>
 

To whom it may interest,

 

The Hague, 31 August 2020 - In 1620 a group of religious English refugees travel to America with the ship the Mayflower. There they founded the colony of Plymouth. About 50 of them came from Leiden, where they lived for nine years. For the first time, Native Americans, descendants of the original inhabitants, were involved in the commemoration, in addition to the Netherlands, England and the United States.

 

Proud

The so-called Pilgrim Fathers are often seen as the founders of the current United States. The journey of the Pilgrim Fathers and the foundation of the colony of Plymouth in America is celebrated and commemorated internationally on previous anniversaries. Central to this is the pride in the tolerant, liberal and hospitable Netherlands, the courage of the settlers and the beginning of the democratic American state that would be due to the Pilgrim Fathers. And all this inspired and influenced by the Dutch years of the Pilgrim Fathers in Leiden.

 

Extensive festivities

In the National Archives the commemorations with letters from committees, festive programs, commemorative books, leaflets and speeches have been preserved. The jubilee is celebrated festively and extensively in 1920 and 1970 with dinners, boat trips, hiking trails, sports competitions, church services, exhibitions, congresses, receptions, folk dances, essay competitions, flower shows, shopping weeks, and last but not least: Thanksgiving Day dinners for Americans, Dutch and English.

 

Thanksgiving Day

In 1863, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday. The fourth Thursday in November is thus forever linked to the first harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrim Fathers together with the locals, the Wampanoags, in 1621. It is a romanticized story based on a myth with a small core of truth. The reality is that the arrival of the settlers later on has many negative consequences for the Native Americans: diseases and wars drastically reduce the number of original inhabitants and their habitat. In the early 70's several leaders of the Native Nations proclaim Thanksgiving Day to be Day of Mourning.

 

Commemoration

Also this year the jubilee 400 years Mayflower will be extensively commemorated at home and abroad. The Native Nations are not only part of this, but their history and perspective also play an important role. Leiden University organized an international conference at the end of August: Four Nations Commemoration, 1620-2020 in which the nationalistic starting point makes way for more inclusiveness. A life-size difference from the past.

 

Source: An article in Dutch on the website of The National Archives of the Netherlands (https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/beleven/nieuws/400-jaar-herdenking-pilgrim-fathers), translated by yours truly using deepl.com.


Re: Words in a German document

Lila Garner
 

Thx for kudos. I didn’t get the county wrong in any doc, just in my query! 🙂


On Sep 14, 2020, at 8:34 AM, Sheila Kell via groups.io <kfurballkell@...> wrote:

I noticed the wrong county but didn't want to complain. Lila, is doing a fantastic job with these very difficult documents.  The first ones have already filled in children for some of our local families that were born and died between census records.  We have no other records of this church except for the few random pages copied years ago, and no idea who originally had them or where the originals went.

Sheila


-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; nuckeye43@... <nuckeye43@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

Yes—I got it wrong!! Thx. 


On Sep 14, 2020, at 6:45 AM, Nick Schultz via groups.io <nuckeye43@...> wrote:

Isn't Vernon in Jennings County Indiana???


On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 3:16:05 PM EDT, Lila Garner <lilagarner@...> wrote:


Thank you. That does work well. 


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.
Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch



-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila


Re: Words in a German document

Sheila Kell
 

I noticed the wrong county but didn't want to complain. Lila, is doing a fantastic job with these very difficult documents.  The first ones have already filled in children for some of our local families that were born and died between census records.  We have no other records of this church except for the few random pages copied years ago, and no idea who originally had them or where the originals went.

Sheila


-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io <main@german-genealogy-eng.groups.io>; nuckeye43@... <nuckeye43@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am
Subject: Re: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

Yes—I got it wrong!! Thx. 


On Sep 14, 2020, at 6:45 AM, Nick Schultz via groups.io <nuckeye43@...> wrote:

Isn't Vernon in Jennings County Indiana???


On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 3:16:05 PM EDT, Lila Garner <lilagarner@...> wrote:


Thank you. That does work well. 


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.
Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch



-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila


Re: Words in a German document

Lila Garner
 

Yes—I got it wrong!! Thx. 


On Sep 14, 2020, at 6:45 AM, Nick Schultz via groups.io <nuckeye43@...> wrote:

Isn't Vernon in Jennings County Indiana???


On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 3:16:05 PM EDT, Lila Garner <lilagarner@...> wrote:


Thank you. That does work well. 


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.
Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch



-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila


Re: Words in a German document

Nick Schultz
 

Isn't Vernon in Jennings County Indiana???


On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 3:16:05 PM EDT, Lila Garner <lilagarner@...> wrote:


Thank you. That does work well. 


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.
Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch



-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila


Re: Words in a German document

Lila Garner
 

Thank you. That does work well. 


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Charles Derrick via groups.io <caderric@...> wrote:

I think a better english translation would simply be to say that the Baptism was performed by Pastor Brueckner.
Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch



-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila