From: Lila Garner <lilagarner@...>
To: german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io <german-genealogy-ENG@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Subject: [German-genealogy-ENG] Words in a German document

I'm working on translating some German baptism records created in Vernon, Jefferson County, Indiana. At the end, where the pastor signs indicating that he baptized the child, are these words: Tauf   [long space]          geschehen durch followed by the pastor's name. Thode says geschehen means occur(red); take/took place. By the context, I'm sure it means that the pastor means that he was the officiant. Would it be correct to translate, "Baptism occurred through the authority of Pastor Brueckner?" Is there a better way to express this in English?

Thanks for any help!

Lila

Join main@German-genealogy-ENG.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.