Re: question about proper Geographical designations

davidrli@...

G’day Pam

There are plenty of places around the world with the same name.  Chatham is a town in the county of Kent in England.  Chatham is also a town in the county of Kent in the Canadian province of Ontario (not to be confused with Ontario in California!).  I have relatives who were born, married or died in both Chathams, so it’s extremely important to distinguish between the two Chathams in my family tree.  There are also numerous places in Germany that have the same name.  So I’d recommend using the formula Town/Parish, County/State, Country in your family tree.

I also use the name that was pertinent at the time of the event.  I don’t use Germany (or Deutschland) before 1871 (nor do I use “Canada” before 1867 or “USA” before 1776) in my family tree.  Wikipedia has a useful potted history giving you a timeline for the growth of Brandenburg which should help you.

< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg >

Regards

David Armstrong

Maylands