Re: question about proper Geographical designations

John W. Kitz

Pam,

I probably should add that I found the way in which German places are organized quite complicated. E.g. typically today a place would belong to a district, a district to a state and finally a state to the country named Germany. But probably owing to historic reasons to date I've come across numerous exceptions, such as so-called district-free places, being places that administratively belong directly to a state rather than to a district, which in turn belongs to a state.

An example of such a place would be the (in German) Kreisfreien (or district-free) City of Dessau in the (in German) Bundesland Saches-Anhalt (State of Saxony-Anhalt).

In addition at this time it is my understanding that other exceptions exist as well, such as Place, Municipality, District, State, Country or Place, <district-free> Municipality, State, Country, etc.

Some examples from my data:

·         Germany (Place, District, State, Country): Mainbernheim, Kitzingen, Bayern, Germany;

·         Germany (<district-free> Place, State, Country): Dessau, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany;

·         Netherlands (Place, Province, Country): Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands;

·         Hungary (Place, County, Region, Country: Debreczen, Hajdú-Bihar, Észak-Alföld, Hungary.

I hope this helps a bit more.

Regards, Jk.