Re: Ticketing to the US

davidrli@...

G’day Penny

The ship going from Hamburg to Hull would be the equivalent of a modern day ferry not an ocean liner.  Your family would have disembarked in Hull and then taken a train to Liverpool (which is the obvious British west coast port to go to from Hull) and once in Liverpool, purchased tickets on another ship departing Liverpool for North America.

The reason for taking this “indirect route” is that it was much less expensive because the British merchant navy was the by far the largest in the world and had the economic benefits that came with its size.

While your family may have intended to sail to New York, they may have found a place on a ship sailing for, say, Philadelphia or Boston.  And some migrants intending to go to North America stayed in Britain, either for some months or even permanently.

Did your family settle in Illinois or elsewhere in the in the 1870s Penny?  If so, then an economic route for migrants was to sail from Great Britain to Montreal, then proceed up the St Lawrence and across the Great Lakes before entering the USA in Chicago.  Duluth was also an US entry port for migrants from Europe whose final destination was the prairies.

Another 19th century route to the American midwest was to sail to New Orleans and then take a paddle steamer up the Mississippi.

Regards

David Armstrong

Maylands

Western Australia